Dual Degrees

MPA/JD Degree Program

This dual degree program is designed for students interested in legal careers in the public sector and governmental lobbying, including all levels of government. In this program, a student can earn degrees in law and public administration in about four years. In the first year, the student enrolls in the School of Public Administration (SPA) and completes one year in the program. In the second year, the student enrolls in the School of Law and takes first-year law courses. In the third and fourth years, the student takes selected law and public administration electives. The student must gain the consent of both the Law School Dean and the Public Administration Director in choosing courses for any semester. The law school accepts six hours of public administration credits toward its degree requirements, and the SPA accepts six hours of law credit toward the MPA degree requirements.

Note: The applicant must be admitted to both the Law School and the School of Public Administration.

MPA/MCRP Degree Program

The Master of Public Administration (MPA) and Master of Community and Regional Planning (MCRP) dual degree addresses the needs of students who desire public, private, or non-profit careers in leadership positions requiring professional skill in community and regional planning and public administration. The program enables students to develop key knowledge and experience necessary to assess public needs, determine public goals and objectives, develop community-based strategies, and manage and resolve public disputes. Students admitted to the dual degree program typically aim to become administrators and/or managers in planning projects or programs working with local citizens, special districts, and local, state, and federal public agencies. Graduates also work in a variety of consulting situations with community-based for-profit and non-profit clients. Students may earn the MPA/MCRP degree in 60 hours, approximately two-thirds the time it would normally take to earn both degrees separately (92 credit hours are required separately - 50 in CRP and 42 in PADM).

Note: Must apply to the CRP program in addition to applying to the MPA program.

SPA CRP Dual Degree Program Checklist (PDF)

Additional Dual Degree Options

Please email spadvise@unm.edu to discuss the possibility of joint degree options with the MHA or MPA program.