Minor in Public Service
Want to learn how to change the world? Get a Minor in Public Service!
Join the Minor in Public Service in the School of Public Administration, and you will get the knowledge, value and skills to bring positive change to your community and the world.
No matter your major, you can learn leadership, communication, and other skills to prepare you for careers in public service in the public, nonprofit, and private sectors and tribal administration. You will also have the opportunity to join a national network of peers through the NextGen Public Service Corps.
Mission: The undergraduate Minor in Public Service prepares the next generation of leaders from any academic major to address social problems by developing the knowledge, values, and skills needed for careers in public service.
The overarching goal of this minor is building capacity in students for public service for all majors. Through the minor, students will:
- Understand the current state of the public service scholarship in the public, non-profit, and private sectors.
- Build skills relevant to public service by applying theories to practice.
- Explore specific contexts, including diverse priority populations as well as differences in local, state, national and global needs, and how to adapt as a public servant and leader.
- Be connected to colleagues, mentors, and peers who are committed to public service across academic interests and the public, nonprofit, and private sectors.
Interested? Follow These 3 Steps:
- See the UNM Catalog for all requirements and electives for the 18-credit multidisciplinary Minor in Public Service.
- Take the required Public Administration courses (check schedule for availability):
- PADM2110 - Public Leadership for Social Change (3)
- PADM310 - Nonprofit Leadership and Practice (3)
Earn at least 3 credits from the following:
- PADM455 - Public Service Practicum (1 - 6) or Substitute with related major-specific practicum/internship course (at least 3 credits)
- Choose one elective course from each category offered by our partner departments and programs (check schedule for availability): Minor Degree Plan
- Theory (Earn at least 3 credits)
- Skills (Earn at least 3 credits)
- Context (Earn at least 3 credits)
Remember that it may take 4 - 5 semesters to complete the minor. Not all courses will be offered every semester or every academic year. Make sure to consult with your Major Advisor and your LOBO Trax audit to ensure your credits add up for graduation. For more information about the Minor in Public Service, please email NextGen Service Corps and Minor in Public Service Program Director, Dr. Kate Cartwright at firstname.lastname@example.org.